Sunday, October 14, 2007

Top 10 List

This weekend has been a rough one. I've been riding the post-partum hormonal roller coaster and the ride just got a little wilder thanks to abandoning the short trial of birth control pills my OB gave me -they made me feel just awful after 10 years without them in my system. Baby S still gets up several times a night so I'm feeling completely sleep deprived. Weeee - what a frickin' ride!!! Add to that yet another fruitless shopping trip and what you have is a blubbering mess sitting in the mall parking lot.

After another good sob in the tub last night and an illegible rant in my journal, I'm glad to say that the self-pity train is on its way out of my station. Sometimes I girl just needs to wallow for awhile - know what I mean? It seems to fuel me up for action.

This week has got to be better and its up to me to make it that way. Even though I've got my hands full with Medium R's upcoming birthday party, and maybe especially because of this wild annual event, I've decided that its time for some extreme self care if I am to make it through with out terrorizing a gaggle of excited kids next Saturday.

Here is my Top 10 List. I'm putting it here to raise my accountability level. I'll report back next Sunday so if you find this boringly self-indulgent, don't read next Sunday (I dare you!)

  1. Write everyday - even if its only for a few minutes and especially if I think its no good. I need to let off creative steam.
  2. Stop using my cross-trainer as a coat rack. I will clean it off, stare at it, and get on it at least twice this week. Sweating, at this point is optional - I don't want to discourage myself too early in the game :)
  3. Use one of the tubes of facial goo that is sitting in my bathroom cupboard. They always sound marvelous but unfortunately they don't work their magic remotely. Anyway, Halloween is coming up - this might be a good test.
  4. Floss - who can argue with that?!
  5. Start to pay attention to what I'm eating. No need to make a change, just pay attention to what, when and where. I fear my daily mini chocolate bar consumption may have surpassed a number that I'm willing to report here. I may even be in danger of not having enough candy for the trick or treaters if I continue on this path. "Think of the children!"- I implore myself.
  6. - 10. repeat numbers 1 to 5 with a positive attitude and a sense of humor.

I once learned a great phrase from a friend who works in the field of addiction counselling and that is "bring the bottom up". I've decided to get moving before sinking any lower so I'm bringing my bottom up ( and perhaps the cross-trainer will help that too!)

And now .... off to eat birthday cake before Monday morning arrives and the list kicks in!

No comments: